Tuesday 15 January 2013

Punk Panther

From Masaru Kubota: Konnichi-Wa! I-kaga-desu-ka? Here is The Punk Panther. Behold the beauty of the circuit.  Revel in the simplicity. Bask in the warmth of the glow of the tubes of your amplifier because this circuit is just plain annoying.  You know, battlefield type o' stuff.  Anyway, this circuit is my personal tribute to Kurt Cobain.  I don't even know his middle name, but I respect him anyway.  Oh, wait, I just looked up his middle name on the internet.  Donald.  I can personally say that he glared at me at his first home-coming concert (I think it was his first home-coming concert) back in Seattle, WA, when I was living in Edmonds, WA, in 1991 & 1992.  Hey, I knew!  Uh, somewhat.


Built it. Not a bad sounding overdrive at all. Presence control (the pot didn't have a name on the schematic, but it works like most amplifier's presence setting ) is quite subtle, but still - in my opinion this is recommended alternative for most open, semi-transparent, medium gain overdrives. Mr. Kubota has done examplary work back in the day... By the way. I tried on OP07 for the opamp - didn't even try anything else once i heard it. This one'll get nice spot on the to-be-boxed list. Here's a little clip i recorded with the circuit:




19 comments:

  1. Nice overdrive, mirosol :)

    Could you guys put up some amp/ cab sims in the near future?

    Eg -
    http://diy-fever.com/effects/marshall-cab-sim/

    Also, there's some amazing stuff on this Russian site -

    http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/index_en.html

    http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93930.0

    Thanks and regards,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that V30 simulator looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How far did you have the dials on the overdrive for that clip Miro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly maxed. So it is mainly a low-med gain OD.

      But the transparency and the subtle saturation. Ah. Me likes.
      +m

      Delete
    2. Really nice sounding circuit and playing, love the driving part near the end, i thought you might break out into a bit of Swervedriver's 'duel' any second haha
      Cheers
      Dave

      Delete
    3. I was hoping you'd say maxed or nearly. I'm looking for low gain ODs with a bit of character. Have you tried it set to half way and lower? This was with single coils am I right?

      Delete
    4. It cleans pretty neatly when gain is lowered - plus the presence control is nice too. It is loud enough too. If i was to rebuild it, i would go with 1N60Ps for more glassy clipping.

      Yup. Single coils, neck and middle of strat set on Tanglewood supersix. Duncan custom shops :)

      For mild, good OD, i'd recommend this, Wampler black '65 or MP/BJF Sweet Honey.
      +m

      Delete
    5. Too quick for my own good. The 72 degrees by Machinehead sounds real nice too. hint hint nudge nudge say no more...

      Delete
    6. :) Could be holiday photos.

      There doesn't seem to be schematic available..
      +m

      Delete
    7. been looking all over and sadly I can't find anything either... :(

      Delete
  4. Would an lm386 work in this?
    Thanks
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. That's a power amplifier IC with different pinout. You could try on any single opamp like TL071, NE5534 or LM301.
      +m

      Delete
    2. Ah right, cheers Miro, im certainly a lot less familiar with Ic/opamp based builds and thus tend to ask dumb questions.
      Thanks
      Dave

      Delete
    3. There are no dumb questions, so don't worry 'bout it. :D
      +m

      Delete
    4. Aha just you wait.....lol
      Dave

      Delete
    5. Believe me Dave - I started from scratch by building General Guitar Gadgets kit. That was less than 18 months ago. I'm still learning new stuff almost daily. And more you're in contact with different parts, more you will remember about them.

      So really. Don't worry and keep them questions coming. I'll try to answer all i can :)
      +m

      Delete
  5. With a bit of work, think I've found the perfect low-gain bass overdrive. This pedal is absolutely mindblowing, and astonishingly simple. Think Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, any of those awesome prog bassists, with that bright snarling tone. This pedal has the most incredible top end. The Presence control isn't too useful for me, I'm going to hardwire a resistor in that matches my favorite setting (390R). I'm going to build another one of these, but this time socket most of the components to try and get some low end back. A clean blend circuit may be worth it here as well, but I'll cross that bridge after trying a few mods to the circuit. The op-amp is an OPA277.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Log taper for the gain pot is far better than lin IMO.

      Delete