Tuesday 20 December 2022

Vesta Fire / Reagun / Nadine's Overdrive

Second post for today is the Overdrive from Manfred's trace (at FSB). This comes from the same series as it's distortion brother (see the earlier Vesta Fire Distortion post), but the design is slightly more obscure. Still, the inverting input filter path to ground gain pot method on a non-inverting gain stage is used. However, the clipping isn't your bog standard feedback loop diodes. The original diodes in series with 10K resistor are something that hasn't been identified (at least not yet), so i figured this would be a nice board to try on your stash of non-conventional diodes. Maybe some zeners? I'm fairly certain this circuit won't sound bad, no matter what diodes you put in there...



2 comments:

  1. I think this is the one that Josh Scott identified as the inspiration behind the Danelectro FAB overdrive. Fun Fact: If I remember correctly Josh also said that Nadines was a store that someone called Slash used to work in (still it doesn't mean their pedals sound good). Anyway, if it is, its not a bad sounding unit. I have the Danelectro FAB overdrive (I sold the FAB distortion on pretty quickly, I can make better others like it though). It's a different flavor, I didn't think I'd need more than one overdrive (!) years later I find myself with clone of a Timmy (I was going to go for the real thing but PaulC stopped making them), Klon, the orange Caline pedal (whatever that is based on) and DIY OCD (as well as the Joyo 'Clone' (it's not the same as the real thing), Zendrive, Mooer Tubescreamer and the Dano. They all have their own voice. I was going to sell the Dano, but after plugging it in to check it was still working, I though, I could use that. It sounded really good with the guitar amp combo I was using, excellent in fact. At higher gains it is a bit crap, too fizzy, but for mild gain it's not bad at all. Works well with both Single coils and humbuckers. The biggest disappointment from that list is the OCD, both DIY and the close but not close enough Joyo clone (they made some errors), but I'd like to try out a real one to be sure it's not for me. Sorry for the ramble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noo.. don't apologize :) That's good stuff!
      +m

      Delete